December 5, 2009

Lean

Lean, 2009, hand-dyed wool on linen, 12 x 12 inches


I've been spending the afternoon dyeing wool for a new ruglet, since I finished Lean a couple of days ago. I enjoy its color, the reds against lime green; the structure makes a nod towards sculpture, with the tall rectangle, rising above the rest of the work, giving an illusion of solidity. I chose to have the green form end in points, like a double-ended rowboat, instead of making it an oval. I like the way the sharp ends are anchored on the edges, creating an exclamation, rather than a sigh.



6 comments:

  1. Altoon, I am totally in love with your work, especially "Ovals." Thank you for allowing all of us a glimpse into the creative process. It really helps me to appreciate your art even more.

    Blessings,
    Jani

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much, Jani. Writing the blog has been helpful to me in my work, too. Articulating what were vague thoughts helps clarify the ideas behind the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice color variation with the little hints of red in the green too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out beautifully, Altoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like a textured microscopic view of a tiny bit of beautiful landscape, intensified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, all. As for the color in the green, when I was dyeing the fabric, I thought that since the green was such an intense color, it'd be a good idea to tie it in to the other colors by dropping bits of red on the fabric in the dyepot. So I'm glad you noticed it, Mona.

    ReplyDelete