November 29, 2010

A New Painting: "Crossed Green"

Crossed Green, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 inches.


This was a difficult painting to balance; too much detail and the painting looks fussy and the form flattens, not enough and it becomes unconvincing; as with the previous painting, Composition in Red and Yellow I had to figure out the right level of precision. It took a long time to get the curves and twists so that they looked easy and didn't call attention to themselves. I'm fairly happy with the result (though I now see, through this photo, some fixes I need to make to the flow of top and bottom lines on the left): a strong cross of green shapes, flat and round, over the curved black of twisted cable.


3 comments:

  1. I don't know how this painting could be more convincing? It is
    perfect and it's intentions well wrought.

    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the patterning (and tones) of the rope, wow, makes me want to weave rope....

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Myrna, I'm glad this one works for you.
    and thank you rappel, it's great that the rope (which is actually metal cable) looks good to you. I feel buoyed by your comments.

    ReplyDelete