June 24, 2011

A Walk in the Woods: The Shapes of Leaves



When I go for my walks through the woods adjacent to my home, I spend a lot of my time looking down, paying attention to the shapes and colors and textures of low-growing things: plants, mosses and lichens, fungi. A couple of weeks ago I decided to document some of my favorite leaf shapes, shapes of plants I can't identify except for one. The charming mass of almost cartoonishly bulbous three part leaves above are my favorites, and I look out for them each spring; they simply make me happy.




There is so much variation within a three part pattern, from the first plant to this, and even within the growth pattern of the same plant, as the leaf adds complexity as it grows.




This is bunchberry, a low growing form of dogwood that carpets the path in one area of the woods. The leaves grow by fours or sixes from a perfect center, whorling their points in a circle. The white "petals" of the flowers are actually bracts, a specialized leaf, and the flower is the small round mass at their center.




I also love these leaves, rising from a center, and displaying a kind of corrugated folding which catches the light in vertical and horizontal movements. Last year I tried to watch out for flowers that might emerge from the leaves, but never saw any.




Three leaves attach to the end of a stem, and their edges are serrated so finely that it seems a frothy mass.




This plant rises above the ground. I find its new leaves, softly and delicately folded, with a lighter and cooler color than the older leaves, so poignant. They give a sense of the tender vulnerability of new life, wherever it emerges.

4 comments:

  1. Nice leaf shapes! Want some names? Top is Hepatica, one of the earliest of spring ephemerals. Next is Prenanthes, in the Aster family, common name Gall-of-the-Earth. Then lovely Bunchberry, then one of my favorite sedges, Plantain-leaved Sedge, an early blooming indicator of rich woods. Then Herb Robert, and I don't know the bottom plant but wonder if it's one of the viburnums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much, Susan, for the ID's. Wonderful names, "gall-of-the-earth" and "Herb Robert". You write that Plaintain-leaved sedge is an early bloomer; I'll have to watch out for the flower spikes very early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is quite a pretty sedge in bloom at the same time as spring beauty and squirrel corn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grow that sedge and love it. It does not flower but, like a grass, gets an inflorescence. They look like just like a grass does when it is in "flower." I was actually just pulling off the inflorescence to keep the sedge from seeding so much. Doesn't the texture remind you of silk?

    ReplyDelete