July 20, 2011

Picking Peas



Peas are a delicious vegetable straight from the freezer, tasting almost as good as fresh, so I like to process a lot of peas in season. I am in the middle of the pea harvest this week, and spend time every other day searching through 25 feet of dense pea foliage to find the filled-out pods. I walk down the row in one direction, looking back every few feet to get a new perspective, and walk back in the other direction...on both sides of the fence. In that way I hope to gather every plump pod.





My old reliable garden basket has a good harvest today, not as heavy as that of two days ago, but certainly heavier than it will be in another two days. It is very satisfying to feel the weight of the peas as I carry them into the kitchen.




I grow a variety called Green Arrow for its reliably heavy yields (unless a woodchuck gets at the young plants, as one did last year) and long pods filled with a lot of peas. What efficient and clever packaging!




The peas are now ready to be blanched and frozen. I place the blanched peas on a wide metal tray and place them in the freezer; when they are frozen hard, I put them into a large gallon bag. With this method I can take out as many peas as I want as they don't stick together. Growing and processing vegetables is a lot of work, but what a treat it is to able to eat my own home grown, organic food all winter long.

9 comments:

  1. This post brought back memories of my Dad. He used to call me a "little pea picker" or "sweet pee". Fresh peas are delicious. They look beautiful in your basket too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shot of the peas in pod... they are such endearing creatures. so plump and round - yet expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh peas straight from the field. hardly can wait them to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments; it seems that peas are general favorites, belying the negative connotations of "eat your peas!".

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you freeze yellow squash? (and if so do you have any pointers?)
    Thanks.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen, I freeze zucchini, which would be the same method: cut into 1/2 inch slices and steam in a single layer for 3 minutes; cool in icy water, pat dry and freeze on a tray and then load into gallon bags. Frozen squash, because of its soft texture, is only good for long, stew-type cooking. I like it with tomatoes and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are just as delicious as the peas no doubt are! Your basket is especially attractive and I like the fact that it is square which is a more uncommon shape.

    ReplyDelete