April 18, 2013

Four New Hooked Wool Drawings

2013 #6, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 18 x 13 1/2 in. 


I recently finished a group of hooked wool drawings, two of which have my often-used central image and two with large areas of painted color. I just recently began using this second compositional format after seeing the "Inventing Abstraction" show at MoMA; I explain and show two examples in this blog post. In #6 I use Ellsworth Kelly's red blue green, and add yellow as a background.


2013 #7, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 14 3/4 x 12 in.


In a way, #7 has both the central image and painted background. I thought of the diamond as dangling from the square.


2013 #8, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 14 3/4 x 12 in.


I feel a little uncertain about the balance in this piece. My idea was to have the large rectangle tilting on top of smaller ones, but I think that it might be too large; perhaps the middle rectangle could have been a bit longer, the top one shorter?


2013 #9, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 11 1/2 x 18 7/8 in. 


#9 is like a small row of signs, barriers of some sort, but they are also simply bisected circles. It's interesting to think of how we insert narrative and emotion into geometric shapes.


4 comments:

  1. I love these, and especially the use of egg tempera on linen. They appear so simple, yet there is so much going on in the play of color, form and texture. In #7 the triangle does look likes it's dangling. Alternately, it looks like a shadow in a doorway, or like the promise of a new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amanda. I enjoy having your reading of #7.

      Delete
  2. I like the proportions just as you have them in #8, Altoon; I think bringing them closer in size to one another would not have been as effective. I love #6 and #9 too - as always, the combination of whimsy with the sensitive touch of material relationships make this series disarmingly engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ravenna, for looking, and for your positive response; it is much appreciated.

      Delete