February 19, 2014

A New Textile: "Two Squares and a Circle"


Two Squares and a Circle, hand dyed wool on linen, 15 1/4 x 19 in.


I tried something a little different with this piece; instead of having the shapes be part of a whole, I hooked two separate works––the red square and the blue square––which I then sewed together after finishing their edges.


Two Squares and a Circle detail


I wanted the sense of two forms joined, rather than a single shaped form. I don't know if it makes a difference to you visually, but to me it makes a difference conceptually, and even visually. I feel that there is now a conversation between two pieces.....


Two Squares and a Circle detail


....that is different from that between two shapes on the same surface. I am intrigued by this idea, and have started a second work of two joined pieces. It's always interesting to have more ideas to play with.


No comments:

Post a Comment