June 25, 2014

A New Textile: "Double Diamond"


Double Diamond, hand dyed wool on linen, 17 3/4 x 17 1/4 in.


There are often quirks of execution in making my textile pieces; I've learned to embrace them instead of being upset. In this work, which is made of two diamond shaped parts sewn together, the upper center outer line has a dip in it instead of being straight. in addition, the dark curve of that piece was not meant to have that little bulge at its bottom edge; it was meant to be a smooth curve. It turns out that I like that little blip, that it makes a good transition to the descending line of the right diamond. And that curving line? maybe it emphasizes or enhances the curving lines within the form, or creates a different kind of tension. Whatever it does, I accept it.


Double Diamond detail


This detail shows the area where the two parts of the work are sewn together. I could have chosen to make this work as one shaped piece, but there's a different feeling that comes from the parts stitched together, an insistence on their separate yet together existence, that I like.


6 comments:

  1. Diamonds are a girl's best friend. Love the colors. Happy summer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of a tree and how the various life wounds gets adapted to and become part of the history and character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small and organic. Nice to wake up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Julie and Linda. it seems that you both have a response that references the organic. I hadn't thought of it that way, so it's nice to get that reaction.

    ReplyDelete