August 1, 2014

5 Years, and Some News


Wood is the gift for the fifth year of a wedding anniversary. Although
                                               this isn't a marriage, I thought it was an appropriate symbol for my blog:
             a stack of logs in the woods, covered with beautiful lichens.                                


Five years ago today I published my first blog post on Studio and Garden. It was very brief, just two photographs and a short text. I began the blog as a way to have an online presence after losing my New York gallery, as at the time I didn't know of the inexpensive do-it-yourself websites. I am glad I was unaware of them, because this blog has become an important part of my art making life; its writing and photography are a way of combining all the things that interest me––art, design, literature, film, nature, garden, cooking––with my own work. When I began, posts were frequent and short; I also posted step by step photos of my working process, which I'm no longer interested in doing. I began by publishing 5 or 6 posts a week, and now I'm down to 2 or 3, or sometimes 4. With posts other than my own work, I now want to have a more developed theme, with many more illustrations. I take much more time with the writing than I did at the beginning, and the writing is something I enjoy very much, even though I know that many people just look at the pictures. I write to understand and clarify my thoughts. When I photograph, I see more, and pay greater attention to art and to the world around me. 

I'd like to thank all my readers for paying attention to my musings; you have been a valued audience. 




And now to my news, which anyone who follows me on Facebook already knows: I am very pleased that I'll be having a solo exhibition at McKenzie Fine Art on the Lower East Side of NYC, opening on October 18th. It will be my first NYC show in more than 7 years, and I am especially happy about the hip new context and the fact that I will be showing more than one body of work: the show will consist of paintings, drawings, and textiles; in short, my dream show. Thanks to you all for your support of my work over the years; I truly have appreciated it.


13 comments:

  1. Congratulations and thank you for all your efforts. I think a NYC trip is in my near future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news, congratulations! And thank you, Altoon, for your blog, I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations all round. I certainly derive great pleasure from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed your writing here and have passed along the address to friends. Thanks!
    I look forward to seeing your exhibition as we will be in NYC for the Print Fair. (If you would like to attend, I'll send you a pass..I'd love to meet you. I would need your home address.)
    Barbara Shark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much.
    Barbara, I doubt I'll have time to get to the print fair, but thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I just looked up the dates of the fair: I will not be in NYC during that week.

      Delete
  6. A special congratulations to you, Altoon. This blog, your work, tremendous affirmation of doing what one loves and doing it well and for the right reasons and good things are bound to follow. Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so love reading your blog and seeing your work. Someday I will see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Altoon, congrats! I don't comment much but still read and enjoy your art and writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Altoon: ditto all of the above congrats and reasons why. Since I was raised in the world if art, but have had little formal training, your blog not only gives me joy and introduces me to new art and artists, but as well makes conscious some of what I have observed unconsciously. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful news!!! I wish you the best of luck with your show. Congrats on your 5 year blog anniversary too. I so enjoy your musings. You have given me different and a more expansive view of art and the way of looking at art. I thank you for that. I was holding my breath hoping you weren't going to announce that you were going to quit blogging. Sigh of relief...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again for all the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete